Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I am currently a freshman in college pursuing a double major in engineering and computer science. I have to take about 20-23 credits each semester, and keep a 3.5. I have a really good scholarship that covers all my tuition and pays me about $6,000 per semester.

Currently, I cut grass for 5 family members from spring until fall. I also unofficially teach martial arts 2 days per week, and I am a soccer referee.

I was wondering: after college when I am applying for serious jobs, will the fact that I never had a regular daily job going to hurt me? I could go get a job at McDonald's or something, but I really do not need the money and I would rather focus on my coursework.

Will the fact that I have never held a "real" job hurt my chances of landing a dream job in the future?|||Most freshmen in college haven't held a "real" job yet...speaking as a mid-20s guy I don't think it will hurt you. Especially with the course load you are taking, I imagine companies will be happy to pick up a smart enthusiastic college grad.

My friend Jeff was a computer science major, and he landed a great job right out of college despite only having some valet experience (which IMO is not nearly as interesting as teaching martial arts). If you have a good major, good teacher references and a solid set of extracurricular activities, I think you'll be fine.

If you're worried about experience but not into spending extra time at a job while in school, you can always join some clubs and put those on your resume. Who knows...you might even meet somebody with connections who can help you land a job later.|||No I don't think it will. Engineering employers won't care that you worked or didn't work at McDonalds.

When you are taking 20-23 hours of upper level engineering classes, that is hard core. No one will look down on you for not working a minimum wage job. Your school is already probably a full time and a half job. Especially keeping a 3.5. If you are good on money then I wouldn't worry about it.

However, if you are hurting financially, then you might have to cut back on school if it means the difference between paying your rent or living in a box.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment