Thursday, February 9, 2012

I graduated high school a week ago.
On track to attend UCLA.
I already have my AA in poli sci because i took classes at community during high school and classes are free for hs students.

HOWEVER

I have no substantial amount of money (about $150 for graduating)
I have no car.
I have no job.
I have no inside connections to get a job.

I applied to 37 businesses (i've been keeping track) starting from about 3 weeks ago. I regularly phone-call and visit the human resources/hiring office located in each store. I've received no calls or offers. I've applied to Mcdonalds, Dollar Tree, janitorial companies,...etc.
( I even applied with the UFW's Take our jobs campaign to get a farm labour job picking crops, but yet to hear back from them)



My family is too poor to pay for my college, and too rich to qualify for grants for college. I am a good student however, not outstanding enough to qualify for academic scholarships. Called the financial aid office but they won't adjust me for diddly squat and i only got $3000 of federal loans offered towards $30,000 tuition and fees. FAFSA says i can only take out $6000 worth of student loans and my parents have a horrible credit score and cannot takeout loans either. Parents cannot handle paying $21,000 for my college like the FAFSA said they have to.

What to do......

I don't have a lot of hope. If i couldn't find a job there'd be no way to pay for college. (Obviously not pay for it all, or atleast a good portion. but set a trend for me and get me atleast money to eat)

New Choices:
Join the military? Immigrate to a more prosperous country? Sell bone marrow? Spend all the rest of my money of lottery tickets? illicit activities?

Time is ticking and i'm losing hope, when you apply to Mcdonald's for a part-time position and go there once every two days to check on your application and in three weeks time you still haven't gotten anything back it doesn't help your self esteem.|||Try going to a community college first, just because usually they are not as expensive.
Also try the military. My daughter recently graduated with her Bachelors in History and graduated *** Laude all while working full time for the Air Force and taking classes full time.
I got my Bachelors in December 2008 and we took out small loans every semester to pay for my tuition and books. I drove 100 miles every week 2 to 4 times a week depending on my schedule. I lived at home with my husband and son at the time.
Where ther is a will, there is a way. If you want something bad enough - you will find a way to obtain it.
Also try just working for a while and take 1 or 2 classes at a time. It is slow going, but at least you are going to graduate. It took me a long, long time to graduate because I had 60 hours going in, stoppped and raised my family for 20 years and then finally graduated in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!|||I would say you have 4 options. In order of the preference I would do them:

1. Go to a less-prestigious school. You may not be qualified for merit scholarships at a top university like UCLA, but you might be at a smaller school with lower rankings. The only downside to this is that it's too late to apply elsewhere to start in fall.

2. Go to community college for 2 years and hope that you can find a part time job during that time to save up some money, then transfer to UCLA or wherever.

3. Join the military. If you're lucky, by the time you finish training, we'll be withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan and you won't see any combat.

4. Skip the university entirely and just go to community college or trade school.|||If you're 18 or over mark yourself as an independent. You should have a better shot at getting financial aid. I wouldn't do it until I talk to the financial aid department at UCLA and your parents. If that doesn't work you might have to take a year off to make some money some how. I would never suggest taking a year off but if there's no way you can pay then that might be the only course. Good luck.|||If you have an AA already, and this can be applied towards a Bachelor's degree, then you need to attend UCLA for only about two years, in which case a student loan burden of ~$40,000 is not excessive.
Just make sure you choose a Major with good earnings prospects after graduation.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment