Monday, February 6, 2012

Medical School is a bit scary to think of because of how selective it is, and I don't know much about the rosters of med schools, but would you be able to say if I would look like a promising candidate for med school?

I will be attending Kent State this fall as a freshman majoring in music. I have played piano and composed since I was young and auditioned as a piano major and got a great scholarship that was an acceptance into the Honors College. Now, though, I changed my mind and decided I want to be a doctor, so after my first year I will take up music as a minor and Biology as a major.

Here are some of my greatest assets and plans:
I will do an internship the summer going into my sophomore and/or junior year.
I play to volunteer at the local clinical center.
To fund my education I will have an on-campus job my first year, and continue to work at McDonalds afterwards (I work there now and like it. It would be great if I could get some medical-type of job though, or working in a lab.)
1 year of Calc and 1 year of O Chem
Several very interesting (to me!) biology electives which include mammalian physiology/lab, molecular biology/lab (which I plan to do an REU with), and Immunology.
Aside from freshman bio, I'll also be taking classes such as cell bio, genetics, animal physiology, and microbiology.
I'll continue taking piano lessons/piano studio class, music theory classes, and want to take counterpoint and orchestration sometime. I really love music and want to stick with it to use for the rest of my life.

I don't know if med schools will care, but I also love to run. I've ran several 10ks, and will run my first half-marathon this fall.

Now, during high school I had a 4.06 GPA. It was weighted with AP Chem (got a 5) and AP Calc (got a 3), so hopefully my hard work and organizational skills won't leave me in college. So I can't give you my college GPA or MCAT scores, but let's just say those are average/above average. I don't party or drink so I'll be spending most of my time running, with music, or studying, with an average 16-18 credit hours per semester.

Also, I live in Ohio, so do you think I would have a shot at the Ivy leagues, or should I be safe and stick to Ohio med schools?

I'm really excited to learn and college and would appreciate any advise you could give me =]|||You'll need to take two semesters of college physics. Physics is a topic on the MCAT, and it actually makes up a greater portion of the test than Organic Chemistry does. Obviously, you'll still need to take organic chem.

I hear that it's important to gain a recommendation from a doctor you shadowed; it's like an unnamed requirement to entrance. By shadowing a doctor, you've shown that you are aware of the daily grind of a physician and are certain that this is the line of work for you.

The hard work and organizational skills you exhibited in high school is vital in college. The key is organizing your time well and balancing work/extra-curriculars with stellar performance in your courses. The MCAT is no joke either, I'd perhaps devote a summer to preparing for that exam.

If you do everything you say you will do, I don't think you'll have a problem getting accepted. Good luck!!|||It's impossible to say right now because we don't know how college will go. You may find out that o-chem kills your GPA or that you only got a 28 on the MCAT or that you didn't get an internship. It totally depends on the future, which no one can predict.

Something that will go against you right away though is that you're not attending a university that has a med school. Med schools like take their own undergrads over others. For example, if I went to Iowa State and am applying to University of Iowa med school, I have less of a chance of getting in than a student who graduated from University of Iowa, all other things held constant.

If you keep your GPA up, like above 3.8, do very well on your MCAT, work or volunteer in the medical field during your 4 years, and get involved on campus, you'll have a fair shot.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment