Monday, February 6, 2012

Wow this is the first question I've asked where I didn't have to stop and figure out how to make it 20 characters....

Anyway, not the point.

So this is the situation I am in right now. I graduated high school 13 months ago tomorrow. My plan was to join the military, but it wasn't really what I wanted to do. I panicked, because I had no money, and didn't know what to do about college/university. I was living in Buffalo, NY at the time (I hate Buffalo) and the only halfway decent college in the area was WAY to expensive. Before doing anything, tho, I decided to take a year off to figure stuff out. In Feb. I moved to Victorville to live with my grandmother. It was there that I decided I couldn't join the military. I don't like the idea of someone else having that much control over my life, of not being able to have pets, or if I ever get married and have kids, not being able to spend much time with them... not being able to live where I wanted to....

So then I didn't know what do to. I already hated Victorville (the cities nickname is Victimville... if you've never been there that should give you an idea) and I missed trees... and rain. Tho I certainly didn't miss Buffalo. I had no money (I'd been applying just about everywhere I could think of since I was sixteen in three different cities, and have never even had a job interview), no friends, no drivers license (living in a big city, there was no reason for one, but now I'm taking my drivers test in about a week. I still have no car tho ><).

Finally, I decided I would do whatever it took to get into university. I decided I really REALLY wanted to go to Humboldt State University. Its near Eureka, CA, where I spent a lot of time as a kid. I LOVE Eureka, and that whole area, and remember going past the university as a kid and hoping I would go there someday... but when we moved across the country I didn't really think it was an option anymore.

So I've applied for a FAFSA, and have been applying to every scholarship and grant I can find, and looking at student loans. I have been applying to jobs in the Eureka area, and already have a place that likes my resume, and wants to interview me when I get to Eureka. I even have a friend of the family who might let me stay with her until I get my act together up there, and my grandmother has promised to drive me up there, so at least I have a way of getting up there, even though I don't have a car yet. I would hope to get a job, get a place of my own (I have pets, so I can't do university-housing). and start university in either Spring or Fall 2012.

But my grandmother (who I still live with at the moment) has been getting mad at me lately. She's mad that I don't have a job and that I have no social life. Plus, she's trying to convince me to stay in Victorville and do community college.

While I completely understand her being annoyed with me (I've been living off her support for the last 5-6 months), I don't know what to do about it. As I've said, I've applied just about everywhere with no luck, including four DIFFERENT McDonalds in walking distance, none of which even asked me to come in for an interview, or responded to my application in any way. I've tried as hard as I can to get a job, even trying for odd jobs in the neighborhood. I have no social life because I don't KNOW anyone here, and have no job and don't go to school, so its hard to meet anyone, especially since Victorville is really spread out, and I have no car. The only places in walking distance are a dollar store and a pet store. (both of which I've applied to numerous times, btw). And I hate the idea of community college, not only because I hate Victorville, but because I want to MAKE something of myself. I want to get a bachelors in psychology at HSU and then take the LSATs. : ) Make my parents proud.

So what should I do/what is your opinion??? I think I have a real shot in Eureka, especially since I actually have a place that wants to interview me (my first job interview!!!). But my grandmother is driving me crazy. She's so angry that I don't want to stay in Victorville and do community college, and thinks I've destroyed my life, despite the fact that I'm only 18, and do have a plan... D : Its not like its that uncommon for people to take a year off after HS.

ANYWAY. Sorry for the REALLY long question, and thank you to anyone who actually read my ramblings. Should I go to Eureka, or stay here?? How can I make friends? WHAT SHOULD I DO?|||You have a plan that makes sense, so go for it. It may not be easy, but it's YOUR PLAN and what YOU WANT to do. Your grandmother should understand that even if she wants you to stay where you are now.|||Your plans are seriously unrealistic.

Your first duty as an adult is to not become a parasite. So far, it seems nothing suits you for one bogus reason or another: Anything you do has to accommodate your pets. You refuse to take military discipline. You hate community college. You hate cheap and decent colleges in the Buffalo are that could give you marketable skills 鈥?eg SUNY鈥擝uffalo College. My guess is you're probably not presentable for any fast food work. Tattoos? Studs in your face? Purple hair? You did this to yourself...

In my view, your grandmother should have thrown you out a long time ago. As it is, she's just enabling your fantasies. Eureka College? ROFL!

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment